Sunday, October 7, 2018

MY FIRST: Night Out

Welcome to the first of "my first __" blog posts! Each week, I will let you guys decide which of my embarrassing/funny/heartfelt firsts that you would like to see. I'll write them up and then post them for everyone to see - let's hope they're good ones. 


Turning 18 brings a lot of new adventures. It's the time where we begin university, can get tattoos and are able to go on holiday without adult supervision (because we are the adult supervision - gross). It's the time where we truly begin our ascent into adulthood. In the UK, our 18th birthday is a rite of passage, celebrated in a way that we Brits know best - drinking. Nothing says you're officially an adult like drinking until you're wasted, dancing and laughing so hard you think you may genuinely pee. It does happen and it's not pretty.

Don't ask me how I know, I just do.

So, my 18th birthday landed on a Friday, I had booked the full weekend off of work and had saved up a fair bit of money to splurge. Plus, my birthday is in August, the peak of summer, where all the clubs are filled with people who are wanting to enjoy their summer and get as drunk as the day is long. You can already imagine how much of a mess this is going to be. 

The day before my birthday I spent 3 hours getting ready and making myself feel super fabulous, it definitely worked. I straightened my hair, applied a full face of make up, which took roughly 2 hours, and then spent an hour deciding the perfect birthday outfit. What? A girl only turns 18 once. I was ready for around 11:30pm, so I spent the remaining half an hour as a 17 year old pacing through my living room and waiting for the minutes to fly by. 

As soon as midnight struck, I got a taxi into town and hit the first club. Well, it was more of a bar than a club. I arrived with my sister not long after midnight, where I was greeted by my brother and a bunch of his friends who all gave me a warm welcome and a huge "HAPPY BIRTHDAY". We went inside the bar and I purchased my first alcoholic drink. Well, it wasn't a drink, it was a shot. And it was lethal. It was called a worm shot. Can you guess why? Because it had a worm in it. Not an actual live worm though, I'm not that bad. My brother made my buy it, I guess it's a weird kind of tradition within the group. Although, I have no idea what the actual drink was - I think it was tequila? Whatever it was, it burned incredibly bad and almost induced vomiting - ALMOST. But it got me tipsy pretty fast and that was the whole plan. After taking that shot like a champ, if I do say so myself, I downed a glass of vodka red bull and we hit the next place. 

It was about 1am when we got to the club, it's only about a 5 minute walk from the first place we went to. We all paid £3 entry fee to get in and then went straight upstairs to the bar. I didn't spend much at all that night in all honesty. When we got upstairs, I saw a bunch of people who I worked with at the time, I'm still pretty good friends with them now even a year later. They're some of the most fun people I have ever met. They each bought me a drink and we all danced together and had the greatest night. It was filled with drunken dancing, laughing and singing at the tops of our voices until we couldn't sing anymore. I even bumped into a few old school friends and it was such a nice, nostalgic feeling. Being surrounded by my friends and my family whilst we were all intoxicated made me so happy that I felt like I was on top of the world. I remember feeling as though nothing would ever feel as good as it did in that moment. But I was wrong, I have felt that way so many times since then. And a very special mention to my boyfriend, who makes me feel that way every single day. 

There's not much else I remember about being in the club if I'm honest, the rest of my memory is of sitting outside. The thing I remember most is that it was 3am, the sky was pitch black and pouring with rain and me, my siblings and our friends were sat on the steps of a different club across the street from where we had just been. I asked everyone why they sounded like they were on helium. It wasn't them, it was me, alcohol does weird things guys, be careful. Then I started to need the toilet and screamed "I NEED A WEE" as loud as I could whilst the bouncers laughed at me. I complained a lot and was becoming desperate for a toilet. So much so that I was about ready to urinate on the floor where I was and justified it with the excuse that "the floor is already wet, nobody will notice". I did end up going to the toilet, I went round the back of an old shop not far from where we were. It was also the first time I ever had to do that in public. Never again, especially not whilst hammered. 

Then came the most difficult task of the evening, walking home. Ordinarily it takes 20 minutes to get from the centre of town to my house walking. However, on this particular night it took 2 hours for 4 people to walk me home. It becomes less of a surprise though when I tell you that I was walking by putting my heel on the floor and then my toes and then doing the same with my opposite foot all the way home and saying "Heel. Toe" repetitively to prove that I could walk perfectly well. Which was an obvious lie, the whole scenario looked like Bambi learning to walk, if Bambi had absorbed a lot of vodka red bull and sourz shots. All the while, my sister and a former friend were on either side of me helping to guide me onto the path and ensure I stayed clear of the road. It was 5am when we finally strolled through the door and my sister put me in bed while everyone else laughed at me.

Suffice to say, I had a lot of fun, got very drunk with my friends and family and spent the remainder of my 18th birthday feeling as incredible as I had the night before. I want to say a big thank you to everyone who bought me a drink and who contributed to me turning 18 in the best possible way. It was a night I will never forget, well the parts that haven't been blurred out by alcohol. 

I hope you enjoyed the first of many embarrassing stories. Have you had your first night out yet, what was it like? If not, how do you think it'll go? I can assure you, probably not as you'll expect but it'll be awesome.
Don't forget anything you want to ask/suggest/need help with, don't be afraid to send me an Instagram DM/Email :)

Shine Bright Sunshines,
Raye x

"When you can't find the sunshine, be the sunshine!" - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Losing a Loved One

  I know I'm terrible with posting. Honestly, this whole year has had all of us through a loop and I haven't had the motivation or t...